90 Years of History at Andrewshayes Holiday Park

Read about our journey to see how Andrewshayes has developed over the years.

In 2020 Andrewshayes celebrates 60 years of being a fully fledged caravan park. 1960 was the year that proper toilet and shower facilities were built for campers and marks the start of the holiday park as we now know it.

However the history of Andrewshayes really starts in 1929. Follow our time-line to see how it all started and the ongoing changes and upgrades that have taken place over the years. 

et|arrow_triangle-down_alt2|G
Dairy farmers Stan and Marjorie Lawrence moved to Andrewshayes Farm after they were married 1929. Soon afterwards they started to welcome campers.

1929

 

 

et|arrow_triangle-down_alt2|G
The park was granted a licence under the Public Health Act of 1936. Despite the basic facilities offered, many campers and caravanners returned year after year.

1936

Stan died unexpectedly of cancer and Marjorie was soon struggling to make ends meet at the farm. Fortunately, after the war more holiday makers started to arrive supplementing the farm’s income. With help from her children Valerie, Harry and Richard and farming support from the local community, this was enough to save the Andrewshayes from being sold.

1949

1959 Harry Lawrence married Stephanie and so another Mrs Lawrence came to live at Andrewshayes

1959

Harry and Stephanie took on the development of Andrewshayes Caravan Park. The Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 was brought in so a new site licence was needed. The first toilet block with flushing toilets and running water was provided for campers.

1960

1961 - The first static caravans were introduced.

1961

Wooden shop built. This has found a new lease of life as in 2020 it has been transformed into warden's accommodation.

1966

Reception office, games room and workshops built

1977

First front field toilet block built and the parks own sewage works

1978

Swimming opened - pool built of the site of a copse of elm tress that had to be felled due to Dutch Elm disease.

1983

The new A35 road layout and junction was built which created a new entrance off the main road and a small field. This field (New Field) was purchased.

1987

A new front field toilet block was built. The following year the old toilet block was converted into the shop!

1991

The Bar was opened in the building by the swimming pool.

1998

New reception and shop extension built.

2010

The swimming pool was covered with fabulous retractable roof and a new games room built

2013

Bar and café extension completed

2017

New offices, workshop and storage built following a fire.

2018

The Orchard Retreat development of luxury holiday caravans opens.

2019

Pin It on Pinterest